Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More on Assessing in the Classroom

Skills Based Assessment, Formative Assessment, Summative Assessment,...asess, assess, assess...

I have spent much if this school year thinking about how I assess my students within the classroom.  What I have discovered/realized was not to comforting or professionally reassuring.  I think I have been doing it wrong.  Not completely wrong, but wrong in the sense that I was simply giving assessments "of" learning rather than "for" learning.

I have been visiting numerous blogs written by those that are walking in the same shoes that I am.  Teachers from throughout the country who have implemented some sort of skills based assessment and are seeing it the way that I see it.  From my readings (thier writings) I have been creating my own system to assess students in my Algebra 2 classes.  It is something that has taken a lot of time and energy to develop and I am still not where I want to be with it.  I am seeing students respond to it and as I get better at implementing it, they too will respond better (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment