Monday, September 19, 2011

A New School Year...

It is good to be back at school and into the routine again.  This year has some changes in store for me, including no more teaching Enriched Geometry.  I must say I will miss it ( but at least I can help my daughter with her geometry work ).

This will also be year #2 in my implementation of SBG (standards based grading).  Last year went well and I think my students began to grasp the reasoning behind SBG.  This year I am making a few changes to my system, including going to a 5 - 10 point rubric.  I will post some of my resources and rubrics once I can catch a breath from the start of the school year.

I shall return...

ok so now I am back.  I had to assist my daughter with her homework.

Today was our first all district staff development day.  It began (after coffee and rolls) with our Superintendent talking with us about various things.  One of the items on her agenda was discussing the use of technology by our students and how it could be used for learning.  The district is opening up the idea of letting students bring in their own technology (byot).  A little depressing seeing that we are always in the midst of budget woes and are currently beginning year number 2 of a 4 day school week.
But, hey...it would be exciting to have ipads and laptops at our disposal for each and every student...wishful thinking.

Back to SBG.  I am working on revising my sills lists for each of my classes and I am struggling with how detailed my lists should be.  For example in Algebra 2 one of my items is "use appropriate counting procedures including permutations and combinations."  Should I break this up into separate skills, like a specific one for permutations, another for combinations, and even another for fundamental counting principle?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment