Monday, November 23, 2009

Mondays

Even though it is a short week I found today to be extraordinarily long.  I was excited to teach my Algebra 2 classes as we are starting our Quadratics Unit and I find it fun teaching.  My goal this year is to really create an atmosphere of problem solving and application.  I want my students to not just do the math but to experience it.  I know I can't do this each and every day but I want to make it a habit to start each unit with something fun, relevant and thought provoking.

Today was a weak attempt I must admit.  I drew a picture on the board of a stick person pushing a huge ball off of a ledge.  At the bottom of the ledge was another stick man with a cart he was pushing.  He was about 4 meters from the bottom of the ledge.  The ledge had a height of 5.14 meters.  That's it.  No question, no equation, no formula.  I just let the students absorb it.  Finally one student stated "I wonder if he can catch the ball before it hits the ground?"  That's all I needed.  After a short discussion and some talk about vertical motion models we actually went out in the hall way where I just happen to have a ledge overlooking a stairway that is exactly 5.14 meters high.  We proceeded to see if a few students could "catch" the ball in time.

Next up is graphing.  Letting the students discover the changes to the graphs of a quadratic function.

No comments:

Post a Comment